Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Small World Indeed



I’ve been smiling since last night.

We may never know the worldwide effect of something that we do.  At least, I’ve never considered what I’ve done to be global in nature.

Sure, I’ve sold the Getting The Most Out Of QuickBooks™ ForYour Practice books to Canada, Mexico, Italy, Costa Rica and other parts of the world.  But this is different.

Matters Of The Heart was the book I wrote from my heart about a very difficult time caregiving my parents and step-grandmom, all the while building my business.  The book was a grueling process to write, conjuring up all the emotions that I felt in the midst of caregiving.   I relived all the stories and, at times, had to walk away from the writing before moving on because the emotion was so overwhelming.

There are plenty of books on the how-to of caregiving.  I wanted this one to be different.  Caregiving involves the heart of the caregiver and the caregiver’s family.  I wanted this one to be candid and honest about the true hardship of caregiving.  I can’t tell you the number of near panic attacks I would have in the wee hours of the morning as I was making myself so completely vulnerable in the process.  

I wrote the book I wish someone would have written for me before I took care of my parents for sixteen years.  Standing naked in front of an audience is what I felt when it published.  Why the heck did I seriously need to write a book like this? 

Numerous anxiety attacks.  I even severely regretted writing it the Wednesday before the launch on September 25th.  

Then, a friend tagged me yesterday in an ongoing Facebook post with a friend of hers.  

The conversation went like this:
C’s Friend:  Hey – I was playing catch up on Facebook as I’ve been so busy the last few weeks and I came across a ‘Like’ notification in my notifications list from one of your friends named Susan Gunn.  I’m currently reading a book by Susan E Gunn called “Matters of the Heart”.  Is this the same person, million to one????

C:  Yes – she is one of my closest friends!!!!

C’s Friend:  Susan Gunn – look at this – my friend IN AUSTRALIA is reading your book!!!  She didn’t even know you were my friend until she saw a “like” from you on a post she had done for me!

C’s Mom:  Yes, I believe that is the book.  Are you enjoying it?

C’s Friend:  I’m enjoying it very much.  Considering what I’m going through with my mother at the moment it’s been helpful.  And reassuring.  But what a co-incidence?

C:  See Susan Gunn she is enjoying it very much!!

C’s Friend:  Millions of people on the planet, millions of books published.  This amazes me.  Small world.

Small world indeed.   Thanks for the blessing.


2 comments:

  1. God's hand was upon you as you wrote this book. He knows no limits or boundaries and that is why it ended up getting from Texas to Australia because a caregiver there needed to read it!

    ReplyDelete