Friday, August 7, 2015

August 8 Heat Advisory and Willis Carrier



Heat Advisory.  Yes, I live in Texas but the older I get the more grateful I am for Willis Carrier.


Since Ancient Egypt, we have sought relief from the heat.  All of them understood the concept of water flowing to cool air.  Ideas built upon ideas, from Romans to Chinese to Benjamin Franklin to Michael Farady.


Then a Cornell graduate, Willis Carrier, went to work for a forging company.  He had an idea to solve a problem and built the first air conditioner in 1902.  One hundred thirteen years ago, Carrier built a contraption that not only controlled temperature but humidity.


It was so successful, three years later, the Carrier Engineering Company was formed and five years beyond that, they bought their first manufacturing plant in New Jersey.


In 1906, Stuart Cramer originated the widely used term “air conditioning,” which replaced the term “water cooling,” because the machine “conditions” the air.


When our house was first built, it had an attic fan to distribute air on these hot Texas days.  But, not long after my birth, during the air conditioning boom in the residential market, Dad had an air conditioning system installed.


This time of year, in Texas, we go from air conditioning to air conditioning.  I didn’t have a car with air conditioning until 1985, and it was not factory installed on my 1984 Nissan Sentra.


In 53 years, air conditioning went from an idea to a given expectation.  A few things got in the way of development, such as the Great Depression and both World Wars, before air conditioning really expanded.   

Sadly, Willis Carrier died in 1950 at the age of 73.  He died just before the explosion of the air conditioning market.  But 53 years later, the Carrier Corporation has annual sales of $15 billion and employs over 45,0000 people.


One idea to solve a problem.  It took many long hours, and a lot of failures, before they were successful in developing a widely used tool, a truly necessary tool here this week, during our Heat Advisory.


Twenty years ago, I watched a news clip about a man who truly had a novel idea, that had built into a business.  I can’t remember what the idea was but I do remember how I felt.  “Wow – how cool is that!  He had a unique idea and has truly built on it.  He is amazing!”


I’ve long believed we should work according to our uniqueness’s.  Since my “aha” moment watching the news clip, I’ve written 32 books on how to use QuickBooks accounting software in conjunction with professional practice software.  There is not another book like these books. I had an idea, the demand was there, so I did it.


There were a few failures along the way, as I learned how to write a technical manual in an understandable format or how to develop a unique understandable practice management chart of accounts designed for business management.


My idea hasn’t changed the world, like Willis Carrier’s idea, but it has changed the lives of so many dental, veterinary, chiropractic and medical practices as they now truly understand their business cash flow.  Even CPA organizations have changed their chart of accounts.  


But, I still stand amazed.  The Traveler’s Gift, by Andy Andrews, is a very uniquely written book I encourage everyone to read.  I don’t want to give away what Andy builds up to but it’s a short read and a truly encouraging read to use your gifts and talents.


I believe everyone has a unique purpose, along with unique gifts.  What’s your unique purpose?  Are you doing it?  If not, what are you waiting for?  Could your idea truly make a difference?


Yes, I’m truly thankful for Willis Carrier!   I’m sure he never fathomed how his idea, his invention would change our daily living.

No comments:

Post a Comment