Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Seasons Greetings



This is the time of year that memories flood our hearts of holidays past, as we are preparing for the holiday ahead.

For many, there are loved ones no longer here to share in their laughter or there are changes in their own lives that affect long held holiday traditions.  But then, for some, there are little new feet that prance through the home, overflowing with bursts of giggles, creating new memories to hold dear.

The holidays mean different things to different households: a joyful reminder of what’s been gained this year or a sorrowful reminder of what (or who) has been lost this year.

It’s the winding down of the year and the anticipation of an even better New Year.  Or a thankful close to a difficult year and the gratefulness for hope of a different new year outcome.  

My parents are a very large part of my fondest Christmas memories.  Daddy was the first one in to decorate for Christmas and the first to open presents under the tree.  Mom spent days baking cookies, pies, and  candy.  The scales were ignored during our holidays and I am convinced Mom’s “love language” was cooking.  

After Dad passed, the holidays contained a little less laughter but, in 2010, my mom hosted a house full of family.   I’m sure you could smell her savory cooking down the block.  Every Christmas morning that I can remember, she served homemade cinnamon rolls – one pan with raisins and one pan without.  You best be quick if you wanted more than one cinnamon roll because they quickly disappeared.

There was lots of laughter and joy that year.  Grandkids and their kids squealed as they ran through the house, in and out the doors.  There was only one volume – really loud, which was just fine with mom because she could then hear them clearly!  

I was knee deep in an embezzlement case and it had consumed me, both my time and my thoughts.  I took all the visiting family being there as an opportunity to be able to work, since I was the primary on-site caregiver.  Oh, I didn’t work on Christmas day but I missed all the other days, like when my mom taught my niece how to make cinnamon rolls.  And, I remember my brother-in-law asking if I was ok because I was so abnormally quiet.  I was consumed with my work.

I don’t remember much about that Christmas except those two things not because of a bad memory but because I wasn’t present.  I didn’t shut “it” off.  When I was asked to do something, I’d laugh and say, “Embezzlers don’t stop for a holiday.”  In fact, that’s one of the embezzler’s most active times.

What I didn’t know was it was my mom’s last Christmas.  

I have absolutely no regrets for all the time that I spent with both my parents through those sixteen years of caregiving but I do regret not taking off during that last Christmas together with Mom.

I was given a gift of one remaining Christmas to store up more memories:  of her at 97 years old playing on the floor with her great grandkids, of her delighting one last time in providing all the delectable tasties to her kids, grandkids and great grandkids.  I blew it and there is no way to recapture it.  

But, I have learned from that important Christmas.  My business is now officially closed while family is in town.  This year, it is closed from December 23 through January2.  I will still check emails and answer urgent phone calls in the mornings, but there are little feet in the house that will demand attention and I plan on giving it by getting my 60 year old body down on the floor to play.  I can’t build memories for them (or me) if I am unavailable. 

This year, I encourage you to first pour your energy in to your family.  Be present with who is there with you.  Create a beautifully bowed basked to store all the silenced cell phones away in another room.  Get the games out.  Spend time laughing with each other and loving on each other.  Being gluten free now makes the baking a challenge but the smells have begun to permeate the neighborhood once again.

By the way, that is me many years ago in the first picture, standing in front of the fireplace in the home that my dad built.  The second picture is the same fireplace in what is now my home.   Both of my parents are represented in the decor.  It's hard not to miss them this time of year.

My hope for you?  To have a very amazing Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah this year.  

Make new spectacular memories and may all your greetings be seasoned with love!

No comments:

Post a Comment