Friday, February 10, 2017

The times, they are a changing

The mall of my teenage years is being torn down.  They can tear down the mall but they can't tear down my memories!

I worked in four stores at various times when Six Flags Mall opened in 1970. Connie Betzel Breen's mom took us to the Grand Opening Day. First, I worked at Sears in the tools and sporting goods department for Christmas. I always thought Connie got the better deal by working in the candy department. Next Christmas, Oshmans Sporting Goods, wrapping gifts for under the tree. The highlight gift wrapping job was a bag of golf clubs. Next Christmas, Old World Gifts (I think?).  After various colleges, I returned, this time to work 2.5 years at JC Penny's in store security.

Penny's was where I learned the extent of how my analytical mind works. I developed systems and procedures for catching return item artists and professional shoplifters. I became interested in how a criminal thinks and behaves. I caught them by being observant.   I learned I had a facial recognition gift that allowed me to recognize repeat shoppers vs. repeat shoplifters.  I developed a communication network with the other anchor stores and the mall security office, as well as gathering with other area JC Penny store security employees to compare notes.   I also learned the heartache of detaining/arresting those that I cared about because they stole from the store.

I had my thumb dislocated, was assaulted, had switchblades drawn on me, was cussed at, while another Penny's was hit by the Wichita Falls tornado and a colleague was drug by a thief in their car. I also had my life threatened many times and had many repeat offenders come back to the store looking for me. I spent hours on top of the roof with binoculars, gazing into the gas pump island cash register, catching workers pocket cash from customers.  I spent hours in a cramped wall crawl space, looking through a two way mirror at employees steal merchandise and cash.  Exciting times!
 
I had an amazing store manager, John Summers, who believed in me and supported me.  He was a good man of integrity.  I can't say that of all of his associate managers or department heads.  I learned the value and importance of being a good leader, and standing firm in integrity.  

I was heavily discouraged from pursuing working for law enforcement, something I have always regretted.  I asked Mom one time why she seriously did everything she could to dissuade me.  "Girls just didn't do that back then."  And, she didn't regret the dissuasion.  When I found myself having to take a different route home because of angry, hostile shoplifters on more than one occasion, it was time to walk away. 

I bounced between a degree in criminology and psychology, finally landing in psychology.  After learning my methodology of counseling differed from most, I decided not to pursue psychology further but business instead.  And now I am back to both with full strength analytical skills in use as a Certified Fraud Examiner.

Little did I know those years would teach me many lessons I still use today.
 
It was a little like being in a cemetery at sunset and I felt I was grieving the loss of a friend.
 
The wires were hanging from the remaining ceiling, blowing from the wind.  A steel beam was creaking as it moved ever so slightly.  I could see the light coming in the back door that I chased many shoplifters through to the parking lot.  Most of the building has quickly been torn down, with a pipe here and there sticking up through the dirt.

They can tear down the mall, but I will forever appreciate all that I learned there, the years it provided me a job and the memories I have stored in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment